Search This Blog

Cheese

Monday, March 9, 2009

Day Two


Today's project: yogurt.


Now, to confess, I make yogurt frequently. So I'm not learning how to make this as we blog, but it's a recently learning. I made a couple mistakes along the way which are totally avoidable. I am making it today and I thought I'd share my findings with you...my mother and maybe the two friends who read this.

Here's what's needed:

A good quality yogurt (as in one with active cultures) such as Straus (plain) to begin. It only takes a 1/3 cup, so get one of the smaller containers. Once I've made the first batch I save a little to make the next, aka the mother culture.

One quart of milk. I use whole 'cause no fat molecule ever scared me.

A candy thermometer.

A big spoon, preferably slotted, preferably stainless steel.


A glass container with tight sterilize-able lid. I got this one at Cost Plus. It's dishwasher safe. And I can write helpful, explanatory words on it, like 'Yogurt'.

A double boiler. I "make" one from a glass bowl and a 5-quart stock pot. Some sites say you can skip the double boiler and warm the milk in a heavy-bottomed pot. I just think the double boiler is less subject to error.

A warm place (approximately 110 degrees Fahrenheit) to keep your yogurt-in-waiting for six hours or more. I use my oven, keeping the oven warmer beneath on med/low. If you have a gas oven, the pilot light is enough to keep it at temperature.

First and foremost, I clean all utensils well with hot water and soap. I clean even the items that just went through the dishwasher a couple of days ago. Not sure if this makes me more or less of a star in the eyes of the Health Department, but I'm sure it's cleaner than the calf's stomach our yogurt-making forefathers used.

Now, I put the double boiler together, making sure the water in the outside pot doesn't touch the bottom of the inside pot/glass bowl. I put my stove on high and put the lid on to get the milk to temperature faster. I keep an eye on the temp by taking readings every 5 minutes. We want the milk to reach 185 degrees Fahrenheit. So, I get some email answered, stand by the boiler for a quick facial, just stick around. I give the milk an occasional stir with the slotted spoon when I check on it. Also, while I'm waiting I measure out my starter culture (or Straus yogurt) and let it shake off the chill from the refrigerator.

The milk should be frothing but not boiling when it reaches 185. This should take approximately 20 minutes (with the lid on--you can do it with the lid off, but it will take twice as long).

I remove boiler from heat source, and remove inside pot to cool a counter top. Leave the milk to cool to 110, stirring occasionally and removing any skin that has formed. While it's cooling I prepare the 'warm place', in other words I turn on the warming oven.

Once the milk reaches 110, I remove any skin that has formed. Add the yogurt. (I mix a little of the milk into the yogurt first, then pour that mixture into the milk.) Stir with a slotted spoon, gently until well mixed.

I pour this into my glass container. Wipe any spills on the container up with a damp paper towel. And place container in my oven. Depending on what time of day I start this process I either leave it in the oven for six to seven hours or I leave it overnight.

One word of warming, I mean warning: don't let your 'warm place' get too hot or it won't work well. When I made this error, I ended up with mealy, running yogurt. Not sure if it was even edible. But Adam (the b-friend) ate it anyway.

Once taken out of the warm place it's best to refrigerate the yogurt for a few hours. Sometimes it will have some little lumps which usually stir right out. So there you go, fresh yogurt. Just wait until we make homemade granola. Youza!

No comments:

Post a Comment