Search This Blog

Cheese

Friday, March 6, 2009

Day One


Today, we make Meyer lemon and bourbon marmalade.








I'm combining two recipes, taking the aspects of each recipe I like best. Fingers are crossed.

The first recipe comes from Elise.com: http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/004395meyer_lemon_marmalade.php

The second from RecipeZaar.com: http://www.recipezaar.com/Brandy-Meyer-Lemon-Marmalade-270169

The former has better instructions (maybe too many, but better safe than sorry) and pictures to follow. (I like illustrative photos.)

The latter asks that you let the lemon, water, and pit mixture sit for 24 hours before cooking. (The part I don't like.) But it does call for brandy. (The part that I do like.) I substituted Bourbon.

I cut the lemons into slivers, I remove seeds--safely bagging them in cheesecloth, I boil these items for 45 minutes, I add 1/4 cup of bourbon, then the sugar (a ***load of sugar), I bring this to a boil and when it reaches 220F I remove from heat, do the "wrinkle test" suggested on Elise, then I scoop hot liquid sugar into jars.

Now, it is at this point that my boyfriend informs me that I'm doing something similar to canning, but not actually using the proper canning technique. I have not used proper canning jars. I have used wire bale jars. Who knew? Well, these guys did: http://www.uga.edu/nchfp/index.html.

Maybe I'm naive thinking one can just go off and make marmalade being a free country and all. And thank God you still can. However, if you'd like your marmalade to remind you of better times while you're waiting out the Apocalypse, better learn to can properly. And amazingly enough the USDA can show you how.

Nonetheless, I have yummy and very fresh tasting marmalade that needs to be eaten quickly and refrigerated. Not a problem. Lesson learned.


No comments:

Post a Comment